Friday, November 28, 2014

Pigeons: Snoop Doggs of the Sky?

Back in 2011, narrator Randall, taught us about members of the wild who spend their days refusing to give a single f*** about anything with a viral video of an apathetic honey badger. If you haven't seen it (WHY?!?!) or just would like to refresh your memory of its awesomeness, see below:


No one can deny that the honey badger "don't care", but has anyone observed the similarly dispassionate nature in a more common land dweller--the pigeon?

Living in the city, I come close to accidentally kicking up to five pigeons during my walk to the cafe alone. Why do I almost kick them?

They don't get out of the freakin' way!

Unlike most foul, who will haul a** the minute they sense even the slightest of footsteps, pigeons would seemingly rather get mowed over by a random gaggle of pedestrians than bother themselves with the chore of flying away.

Case in point, I was in DC recently, waiting for my train at Union Station and this happened:


What you can't hear in this video is me going "OoOoOooOOoHHHhh!!!" when the pigeon gets really close to my foot, because...you know...bird flu...

I guess it's commonplace for pigeons to just mosey on in, because no one seemed to mind (the most extreme reaction I saw was a woman looking slightly perturbed when one flew over her head, nearly careening into her soy latte) and there were about four wandering aimlessly.

There was not a single f*** given that day by a pigeon. They just wandered about, sat on seats, and waited for a train to come that they hadn't purchased tickets for.

Rats with wings? I like to think of them as the Snoop Doggs of the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment